THE HON EMMA MCBRIDE MP
ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR MENTAL HEATH AND SUICIDE PREVENTION
ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR RURAL AND REGIONAL HEALTH
FEDERAL MEMBER FOR DOBELL
Dr. GORDON REID MP
FEDERAL MEMBER FOR ROBERTSON
HELPING MORE FLOOD-AFFECTED COASTIES RETURN HOME
Central Coast residents who were displaced by last month’s floods may be eligible for further financial support, with grants of up to $20,000 available to help them return home.
The $47 million Back Home program is being delivered through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) to help renters, landlords, and homeowners with clean-up costs associated with the July foods.
The funds can go towards any clean-up costs to restore housing to a habitable condition, including:
- Inspection and safe reconnection of electrical, gas, water, hot water, and sewerage equipment not otherwise the responsibility of utility companies,
- Necessary replacement or repairs to damaged essential household goods such as refrigerators, ovens, washing machines, and microwaves,
- Necessary replacement or repairs to damaged equipment such as computers, tools, and other essential household content,
- Moving to a new property if you are a tenant,
- Necessary structural repairs including roof, flooring, walls, fittings (owner-occupier/owner).
This funding is being provided in addition to a series of other support programs, including up to 16 weeks of rental support payments, rural landholder grants, small business and not-for-profit support, and an $80 million clean-up program.
- A maximum of $20,000 will be available for any one property, with owner occupiers eligible for up to $20,000, owner investors eligible for up to $15,000, and tenants eligible for up to $5,000.
- The property must be assessed as damaged, destroyed, or uninhabitable and the owner or renter must be uninsured or unable to claim insurance.
- Applicants impacted by flooding in February 2022, and again in July 2022, may be able to apply twice under the scheme, subject to all eligibility criteria being met.
Those who have received the means tested Disaster Relief Grant are not eligible for this package.
The grants will go live in the coming days – you can find out more and register to be notified via www.nsw.gov.au/floods/financial-support.
Further information on flood assistance is available at www.recovery.gov.au.
Quotes Attributable to Assistant Minister, Emma McBride MP:
“The recent floods were devastating for so many individuals and families across the Coast, especially those who suffered damage to their homes.”
“The Back Home grant program will help Coasties with repairs to their homes to make them liveable, including replacing appliances, reconnecting electricity, fixing roofs and other necessary repairs.”
“This has been a tough time for many Coasties, and these payments will help local people get back home safely.”
Quotes Attributable to Member for Robertson, Dr. Gordon Reid MP:
“The Albanese Labor Government is working with all levels of government and the community to make sure people on the Coast have the support they need to recover from this disaster.”
“Getting locals back into their homes is a top priority for us because we want people to have a safe roof over their head.”
“If anyone needs assistance in applying for these payments, please don’t hesitate to contact my office and we will help in any way we can.”
THURSDAY 4 JULY, 2022