Facing unemployment

Facing unemployment Main Image

06 May 2020

If you have lost your job, or lost income, as a result of COVID-19, there are government payments and services available.

Until recently, the main benefit available for work-aged people who were looking for work was called Newstart. That payment is now called JobSeeker.

If you haven't received government benefits before, visit myGov to set up an account. Follow the links to Centrelink for information about which payments you qualify for and how to apply.

You will need a Centrelink CRN or Customer Reference Number before you can claim benefits. Services Australia has made it easier to a CRN as a result of the pandemic. Again, follow the prompts.

If you don't have a computer or internet access and need help please phone Services Australia/Centrelink on 132 850 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday.

If you experience difficulties call my office on 02 4353 0127