THE NEW ENTERPRISE INCENTIVE SCHEME (NEIS)
Provides eligible unemployed people assistance with training, mentoring, income support and rental assistance to help them to become a self-employed business owner.
Who can apply:
At a minimum, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be unemployed
- be able to work full-time in your proposed business
- not have been declared bankrupt.
Other eligibility requirements may apply.
The New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) offers training, tailored advice and income support to help job seekers become small business owners.
Job seekers have access to a network of 21 providers to help them start and run a new small business.
- accredited small business training and mentoring for up to 52 weeks
- income support for up to 39 weeks
- rental assistance for up to 26 weeks (if eligible)
- mentoring and support from a NEIS provider in the first year of the new business.
To apply for NEIS you have to be over 18yrs of age and unemployed.
Job seekers can participate in NEIS if they’re:
- fully eligible for jobactive or are a Disability Employment Services participant in the Employment Assistance Phase
- participating in jobactive as a volunteer, and can start in NEIS before the end of your period of service.
Find out more about the NEIS eligibility criteria at Who can take part in NEIS.
You can apply for NEIS by contacting your local jobactive or Disability Employment Services provider. Your provider will assess if you’re suitable to apply.
Find out more about NEIS at the Department of Employment website.
For more information and to apply:
- visit the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme or
- call 13 62 68.