Local Sporting Champions
Applications Close 31 October 2018
The Local Sporting Champions program provides financial assistance for coaches, officials and competitors aged 12-18 participating in state, national or international championships.
If successful, applicants will receive $500-$750 towards the cost of attending their championships
- Base Grant: $500
- Applicants travelling 800km - 1999km to their nominated championships: + $100
- Applicants travelling internationally or greater than 2000km to their nominated championships: + $200
- Applicants residing in a rural electorate: + $50
To be eligible to apply for a Local Sporting Champions grant, young people must meet the following criteria:
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated sporting championship.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in:
an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised national sporting organisation (NSO), or
an official state school sport championship endorsed by a School Sport Australia member body, or
an official national championships endorsed by the relevant ASC recognised NSO, or
a national school sport championships endorsed by School Sport Australia, or
an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by an ASC recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Be living more than 125km from the championship venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championship.
- Must complete and submit application to the ASC prior to the nominated championship commencing.
- Must not have received a Local Sporting Champions grant for an application submitted in the same allocation year.
- Must not have received $500 or more in federal government funding for the nominated championship.
- Must not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money greater than $500.
Along with meeting the eligibility criteria, to receive a grant applicants must abide by the programme Terms and Conditions.
Information on eligibility for the program and the application process can be found at www.ausport.gov.au
- Applications for Round 1, 2019-20 are closed and are currently being assessed. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by late-August 2019.